TPG Community

Get online support

Slow Internet and unstable

ozanilkumar
Level 2

Hi Team,

I am getting a lot of trouble using Zoom and other websites. I have to turn off zoom video and even then it won't work properly. I am using TPG Fibre with the same plan from last year and it never happened like this. Now in a few weeks, it is happening all the time as soon as you use Zoom. 

On my phone speed is 35 mbps which is very slow. Every day has become an embarrassment on office zoom calls. Phone as well as MAC/Windows all 3 devices have the same issue.

9 REPLIES 9
BasilDV

Hi @ozanilkumar 

We've edited your post as it contains your account details.

Please avoid posting any information on a public thread as it may compromise your security.

Have you tried to test the speed via Wired/LAN connection for comparison?

We've tested the line and it shows that the modem/router is getting a good connection signal with 119 Mbps Downstream and 31.8 Mbps Upstream.

Is the modem/router connected directly to the wall socket or you are using a filter splitter?

BasilDV

ozanilkumar
Level 2

Thanks.

I check my speed again and I see an improved speed as shown in the attachment. I think there is some issue for sure as speed fluctuates and is not constant. This is my understanding. 

I am not sure if it is a splitter. I am attaching the image of the connector.

BasilDV

Hi @ozanilkumar 

If you are experiencing speed issues via WiFi connection, then signal interference may be causing it.

We've created some articles that will help you improve your home WiFi network.

Easy Steps to Improve Wi-Fi Connection In Your Home

Wireless Channel on your modem - what is it and why should I change it?

It might be a filter/splitter, but since the modem/router is getting a good connection speed, then you may need to troubleshoot the WiFi settings first.

Let us know how it goes.

BasilDV

ozanilkumar
Level 2

No, it is not due to the WIFI signal. I tried near the WIFI also it is the same low speed.

I mean to say the speed of FTTB fluctuates and sometimes is really bad. As said above, I see two different speeds at two different times. I tried near the WIFI and a little far from WIFI, so the WiFi connection is not the issue that I feel. 

It is just connection almost dies most of the even audio call is some times bad.

I am the only user on this connection and two devices at a time are connected - a phone and a laptop.

Thanks 

david64
Master

Hi @ozanilkumar . You should use your ethernet computer and the speed test on TPG support page to get best indication of speed. Run it at different times of the day and night. Variations in speed using ethernet mean problems in the external network.

Check the DSL statistics in the router admin to see what physical speed the router gets when connecting to the FTTB equipment.

On your wifi device, check the wifi connection speed between your device and the router. The speed decreases as you move away from the router. 

In the picture of the telephone cable, that's an odd looking gadget. What exactly is it?

ozanilkumar
Level 2

Thanks.

I tried to test the speed at different times and here are the results. Time is shown in the top right corner.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

david64
Master

@ozanilkumar . Were these speed test done with your computer on ethernet or wifi? If it's a laptop with both, disable the wifi. 

Can you use Task Manager Networking tab to make sure there is no network activity when doing speed test. When the test runs, there will be Receive bytes during download part, and Send bytes during upload part.

There are 3 points from my previous post: DSL stats, wifi device connection speed, connector on phone wall socket.

ozanilkumar
Level 2

I do not have an Ethernet port on my macbook. 

Today again it was working fine and suddenly it went to a very low speed, I mean I have to disable video and still I could barely hear what people were saying. Too much lag.

Here is the new snapshot for the speed test and network activity.

Joseph_D

Hi ozanilkumar, 

Can you send us a PM with your contact details and time availability?

Kind regards,

Joseph D