TPG Community

Get online support

Which company am I with?

SOLVED Go to solution
shayes
Level 2

I have been a satisfied TPG customer for some time now having crossed over from iiNet (and yes I know that iiNet is part of the TPG Group), but lately I note that when I run a Speed Test it shows the ISP as being iiNet, not TPG and is not as stable as the prior TPG connections. Can you please explain why I have been shunted to iiNet servers?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PeterW

Hello Shayes,

Thank you for your message and for being a part of the TPG Community.

I have attached  link for you to read that explains the process a speed test follows.

Basically speed tests find servers from many providers not specifically your ISP, so it could be TPG, iiNet, Telstra, Optus or many others. Usually it will choose the closest server to your location, in your case it would appear iiNet although no longer your ISP is the closest server for it to test from.

I hope that helps.

Regards

PeterW

https://help.speedtest.net/hc/en-us/articles/360038679834-How-does-Speedtest-select-a-server-

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PeterW

Hello Shayes,

I have attached  link for you to read that explains the process a speed test follows.

Basically speed tests find servers from many providers not specifically your ISP, so it could be TPG, iiNet, Telstra, Optus or many others. Usually it will choose the closest server to your location, in your case it would appear iiNet although no longer your ISP is the closest server for it to test from.

I hope that helps.

Regards

PeterW

https://help.speedtest.net/hc/en-us/articles/360038679834-How-does-Speedtest-select-a-server-

david64
Level 15

Hi Peter.

Why wouldn't a TPG user use the speed test on TPG's home page? In terms of "closeness", the TPG test should be the closest to any TPG user of ADSL or NBN. The TPG test should give the best speed that can be expected by the user's connection type. A user could try some other speed test server and that would give a more realistic speed because it takes into account network delays.

shayes
Level 2

@PeterW wrote:

Hello Shayes,

I hope that helps.

Regards

PeterW

Thanks Peter, but that does not explain why SpeedTest identifies my ISP as iiNet when in fact it is TPG.

Interestingly today it has gone back to TPG...

Roberttrumpet
Level 2

I have noticed the same thing from around 3 weeks ago. I have been with TPG for over 6 years and always been on their Top Speed, unlimited downloads plan and upgraded to NBN as soon as it was available in my area, which was around 4 years ago. When I run Ookla Speed Tests now it says I am connected to iinet 124.150.82.248 and am getting download speeds of over 800mbps!!!!! Running the same tests on TPG's Speedtest Custom only returns 167mpbs. I'm not complaining about the download speed, just curious as to why Ookla seems to think my isp is iinet.

Shane

Hi @Roberttrumpet ,

Peter has answered this question.

@PeterW wrote:

Hello Shayes,

I hope that helps.

Regards

PeterW