SGT
Level 3
Level 3
@chicaneau thank you! I'll do this.
And yes, seriously, what the?!
jls
Level 3
Level 3

@Shane may I get the firmware update please? I believe you can determine my account from our prior conversatoins

My current state iss

Firmware Version:0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 190228 Rel.72265n Hardware Version:Archer VR1600v v2 00000000

Shane

Hi @jls,

Sorry for delayed update, I was able to confirm with our Engineering Team that the modem/router has the latest firmware version.

Regards,

@Shane may I get the firmware update please? I believe you can determine my account from our prior conversatoins

My current state iss

Firmware Version:0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 190228 Rel.72265n Hardware Version:Archer VR1600v v2 00000000

jls
Level 3
Level 3

OK thanks a lot

chicaneau
Level 4

@jls are you on FTTB or NBN?

I'm on FTTB and I have a newer firmware version than the one you mentioned.

Firmware Version:1.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 200826 Rel.77218n Hardware Version:Archer VR1600v v2 00000000

jls
Level 3
Level 3

I'm on NBN

chicaneau
Level 4

@jls in that case, the 5GHz wifi drop bug affects your firmware version, but TPG has not certified/customised the newer firmware for NBN connections, hence their response saying you are already on the latest version (the device is exactly the same).

To make this happen, keep pressure on support to do the above. Open a formal support case, and don't settle for sub-standard service. This router comes pre-loaded with buggy firmware - only through perserverance they released a new firmware version for me. They aren't doing any widespread upgrades, only upon request. It baffles me how many of their customers would be putting up with substandard service as this device is letting the whole experience down.

From an internet conection perspective, TPG is great. However, their customised modem/wifi/router (TP-Link Archer VR1600v) leaves a lot to be desired and lets down the whole experience. Buying a new router is really not a solution (it's a workaround) - TPG should be aiming to do better. 

DavidGC
Level 3

Just an update from me: Still no fix to this issue, and I just had my VR headset booted off the 5ghz network again.

I'm still on firmware: 1.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 190305 Rel.72906n

Hardware version is Archer VR1600v v1 00000000

Shane sent me a PM this week to check in on me, but I wasn't able to test out the system until this weekend.

Hoping for a resolution soon.

DavidGC
Level 3

Another update from me:

Spoke with technical support, and they emphasized that it's important to reset the router back to factory settings after the firmware update. I had not done this, so I noted all my settings and then reset the router back to factory settings by holding down the reset button with a pen long enough for all the lights to go out for a bit (maybe about 15 seconds).

To eliminate the chance that a custom setting might be contributing to the issue, I have not made any changes after the factory reset, apart from login credentials, router password, and wifi network names/passwords.

I haven't been able to test it out for long enough, but hope to do that this weekend.

I'll try to post back here either after a successful weekend or if the router failes beforehand.

DavidGC
Level 3

Update: Resetting back to factory settings after the firmware update did not fix the problem.

Support is now sending a new modem/router, but it will be the same model I currently have.

I told the rep that the problem seems to be an issue with this model of router, so a new one would likely have the same issue. We'll see what happens.