Extend Range

SOLVED Go to solution
Woodsey55
Level 3

I have a Archer VR 1600v connected FTTN, when TPG supplied this unit I asked if it would have the range for my back room smart TV and was told YES.

It's been OK for a few months but signal strenght has been 1 bar. Now the picture ( connection ) is hit and miss. If I move the TV to a closer room it works great.

My question is, can I bridge the VR 1600v with a modem I had before my move to this new place.

I have a TL- WR941HP ( I know this Modem will not connect direct to the FTTN )

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
BasilDV

Hi @Woodsey55 

Welcome to the Community!

If you wish to bridge the TP-Link VR1600v you may check this link.

Please note that the phone service will not work.

You may also set up your router as an access point to boost your WiFi network.

Please note that we can't guarantee that your router will work, but you may still try.

BasilDV

View solution in original post

Woodsey55
Level 3

1. Will a TP Link Deco M4 mesh WiFi unit connect to my VR1600v

2. Do you have any knowledge on the performance of the TP Link Deco units

Woodsey55
Level 3

Basil, do you have any input in trying to connect a TP Link Deco mesh wifi to help with the signal

5 REPLIES 5
BasilDV

Hi @Woodsey55 

Welcome to the Community!

If you wish to bridge the TP-Link VR1600v you may check this link.

Please note that the phone service will not work.

You may also set up your router as an access point to boost your WiFi network.

Please note that we can't guarantee that your router will work, but you may still try.

BasilDV

david64
Level 15

Hi @Woodsey55 . Does the TV work OK when the signal strength is 1 bar, or does 1 bar mean hit and miss?

Using your phone or tablet, are there other networks detectable in your house?

These are articles on wifi interference.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Easy-Steps-to-Improve-Wi-Fi-Connection-In-Your-Hom...
https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Wireless-Channel-on-your-modem-what-is-it-and-why...

Putting the VR1600 into bridge mode may not be the best plan. The TL-WR941HP router has 10/100 ethernet ports (rather than gigabit ports) and only a 2.4G wifi band.

Options.

Use TL-WR941HP as range extender. It picks up the 2.4G band from VR1600 and extends it. Since the TV gets a good signal when you move it closer, the TL-WR941HP could go in that room; the TV goes in its normal spot.

Or, use TL-WR941HP as access point. Cable from VR1600 LAN port to TL-WR941HP WAN/Internet port. Disable 2.4G band on VR1600.

Woodsey55
Level 3

1. Will a TP Link Deco M4 mesh WiFi unit connect to my VR1600v

2. Do you have any knowledge on the performance of the TP Link Deco units

Woodsey55
Level 3

Basil, do you have any input in trying to connect a TP Link Deco mesh wifi to help with the signal

BasilDV

Hi @Woodsey55

You may check the instructions given by TP Link.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

BasilDV