TPG Community

Get online support

How to set up Netgear Nighthawk RAX120 BYO modem for NBN

BasilDV

Netgear Nighthawk RAX120

This article provides modem setup advice for NBN services to get you up and running in just a few simple steps;

First:

You need to know the technology type used to supply your NBN service.

Your NBN technology type can be found in the Installation email we sent to you prior to your NBN service activation. Simply search for nbnorders@tpg.com.au nbn installation confirmed in your email inbox to find this email.

image.png

Please choose your NBN technology type below for the Netgear Nighthawk RAX120 set up guide.

You've Determined: You have an NBN FTTP / Wireless service

Please follow the steps below to set up your Netgear Nighthawk RAX120.

1. Ensure your NBN Connection Box is turned on

2.Plug an Ethernet cable from the designated UNI-D port on your NBN Connection Box into the  Internet/WAN port on your Nighthawk modem. (An email with the provisioned UNI-D port number will be sent to you once service installation date has been confirmed)

RAX120.png

3. Plug in the power cable and turn your Nighthawk modem on using the Power buttonRAX120(1).png

4. You can connect devices such as PC desktops, laptops or gaming consoles by plugging Ethernet cables from device to any of the 4 LAN ports; or you can connect devices via WiFiRAX120(2).png

5. Go to http://192.168.1.1 or http://www.routerlogin.net in your browser

6. Log in with your Netgear username and password. By defaults these are:

Username: admin

Password: password

7. Select Internet Port for WAN Preference.

8. Select PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet) from the Encapsulation drop down.

9. Enter your TPG username and password.

10. Click Apply. (Note: Continue below for Fixed Wireless bundled plan (Internet and Voip) only)

11. Select Advanced > Advanced Setup and VLAN/Bridge Settings.

12. Enable VLAN/BridgeSetup check box

13. Select By VLAN tag group. Click Add.

14. Enter a Name for the VLAN (e.g. "TPG")

15. Enter 2 in VLAN ID and 0 in Priority and Add. 

16Click Apply

Your Netgear Nighthawk RAX120 should now be online. If you are still having issues, please call us on 1300 997 271 for further assistance.

You've Determined: You have an NBN FTTC service

1. Ensure your NBN Connection Device is turned on

2. Plug an Ethernet cable from the yellow Gateway port on your NBN Connection Device into the Internet/WAN port on your Nighthawk modemRAX120.png

3. Plug in the power cable and turn your Nighthawk modem on using the Power buttonRAX120(1).png

4. You can connect devices such as PC desktops, laptops or gaming consoles by plugging Ethernet cables from device to any of the 4 LAN ports; or you can connect devices via WiFiRAX120(2).png

6. Log in with your Netgear username and password. By defaults these are:

9. Enter your TPG username and password.

10. Click Apply. (Note: Continue below for bundled plan (Internet and Voip) only)

16Click Apply

Your Netgear Nighthawk RAX120 should now be online. If you are still having issues, please call us on 1300 997 271 for further assistance.

You've Determined: You have an NBN HFC service

1. Ensure your NBN Connection Box is turned on

2. Plug an Ethernet cable from the UNI-D1 on your NBN Connection Box into the Internet/WAN port on your Nighthawk modemRAX120.png

6. Log in with your Netgear username and password. By defaults these are:

9. Enter your TPG username and password

10. Click Apply. (Note: Continue below for bundled plan (Internet and Voip) only)

16Click Apply

Your Netgear Nighthawk RAX120 should now be online. If you are still having issues, please call us on 1300 997 271.

Our technical team will assist in providing you with the basic settings in order to set-up your equipment and connect to the internet. For further assistance and advanced set-up or configuration, please contact the equipment manufacturer.

Related TPG Community Articles:

List of Non-TPG supplied Modem/Routers for use with TPG NBN BYO Data Only Plans
High-Speed NBN BYO Modem Requirements
TPG NBN Home Superfast & Home Ultrafast Plans are here

NBN Plans with BYO modem – How to Connect Using your Own Compatible Modem/Router

NBN Plans with BYO modem – How to Configure Using your Own Compatible Modem/Router

Easy Steps to Improve Wi-Fi Connection In Your Home

List of all TPG broadband setup and modem guides on Community

2 REPLIES 2
richroxy2
Level 2

Hi there,

I received my new Nighthawk AX12 router this week and had to wait until this weekend to try and connect it since we both work from home and have over 20 devices that need reconfiguring to connect to the new network. I purchased the router on the strength of this review:

With a title of "best NBN modem" I expected the product to have modem features, however after trying all afternoon I've discovered that it does not perform the same as my old modem router. i.e. it will only work if I keep my old router connected to the internet and use one of the old routers LAN ports to connect to the WAN port of the Nighthawk. This proves the device works, but does not free up my old router so that I can give it to my mother-in-law. Please refer to the attached sketch, which shows my old router connected and working with also the new router only working when connected to the old router and not direct to the Internet port.
I have made sure several times that the configuration settings in the Nighthawk are correct, however it gives an error saying "ethernet not connected", this to me says that it does not expect to work with the telephone cable that I use for my FTTN service from TPG, which works as expected when I connect it all back again (i.e. TPG haven't disabled my account).
My current modem router is the TPLink X3000

Can you confirm if TPG support this router for my service or can suggest anything else?

BasilDV

Hi @richroxy2

Welcome to the Community!

We were able to locate your account using your community details and learned that your service is under the NBN FTTN (Fiber to the Node) technology. This means that you need a third party VDSL modem/router.

The Nighthawk AX12 is a router only device, which will not work with it unless you use it as an access point.

You may ask the shop where you got it, if you can exchange it to a VDSL modem/router.

BasilDV