TPG Community

Get online support

How to set up a bridge on archer vr1600v.

SOLVED Go to solution
Highlighted
Level 1c

Thanks for the quick response. I have already been able to setup (via LAN) Archer ZR1600v is the primary modem/router and the ASUS DSL AC68U is the secondary router (mode) as a slave.

I need to bridge them via WiFi so I can use the ASUS at the other end of the house where the Solax Inverter is. I would like to know how to setup both for the WiFi bridging.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi @JohnMitch,

The WDS or WiFi bridging is not possible with your TP-Link VR1600.

This means that you are not able to connect them via Wireless.

You may consider a Mesh network or a longer cable to relocate your ASUS router near the Solax inverter.

Regards,

BasilDV

Highlighted
Level 2

In case anyone comes across this post, I managed to get pfSense working. The solution is to not over complicate things! If the modem is bridged using VLAN ID 2 then there doesn't seem to be any need to also set up any VLAN on pfSense. I simply put in my username/password into the PPPoE Configuration of the WAN interface and it worked. I haven't tested whether DNS is an issue, but I did check the box in General Setup for "Allow DNS server list to be overridden by DHCP/PPP on WAN" but that is all.

Highlighted
Level 3

Is it possible to bridge the Archer VR1600v when using an HFC connection? I ask because the relevant connection information is under EWAN, not DSL where the bridge connection needs to be manually created.

Highlighted

Hi @gavingroom

No, it will not work.

The bridge mode will not work for any NBN Technology that uses NTD/NCD.

Better to use an extender or Mesh system to boost your WiFi connection.

If you decided to use a third party modem/router, then the VoIP phone feature will not work since the settings of it is embedded in the TPG modem firmware.

BasilDV

Highlighted
Level 3

Thanks @BasilDV - I thought this was the case.

I am already using a Google Wifi mesh system plugged into the TP-Link's LAN port. I was hoping to avoid any double NAT situations on my son's Xbox. I will set up port forwarding on my Google Wifi router instead.

Highlighted

Glad to be of assistance, @gavingroom. Cheers!

Highlighted
Level 1b

Hi Basil

Will this LAN solution for WIFI extension work for an Archer VR1600v modem (supplied by TPG) in a HFC broadband setup?

https://www.tp-link.com/au/support/faq/2655/?utm_medium=select-local

Note: the main primary router in my case is also a Archer VR1600v modem (supplied by TPG at my previous abode).

Highlighted

Hi @bgdempsey78,

Disabling the TP-Link VR1600's DHCP mode will make the modem/router a standalone router, you may simply connect it to LAN port of your root/main modem.

Note: You may need to set a IP address for the router depending on your root/main modem.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Cheers!

Highlighted
Level 1b

Hi Shane

Have applied the instruction however whilst LAN is giving reliable internet access from the extender/AP the WIFI signal is not reliable and drops out on different devices stating 'no internet connection'.

I applied the new IP address as per the TP Link instruction to the AP - with DHCP disabled as advised.

Any suggestions to improve WIFI reliability on AP?