TPG Community

Get online support

How to set up a bridge on archer vr1600v.

SOLVED Go to solution
Shane

We did an article that you may find helpful. This will guide you on how to improve wireless connection see links below.

Note: You may need make sure that the distance of the Main modem/router and the router is far from each other to avoid Wi-Fi interference.

Hi Shane

Have applied the instruction however whilst LAN is giving reliable internet access from the extender/AP the WIFI signal is not reliable and drops out on different devices stating 'no internet connection'.

I applied the new IP address as per the TP Link instruction to the AP - with DHCP disabled as advised.

Any suggestions to improve WIFI reliability on AP?

northstar
Level 2

Does this mean you can use these Archer VR1600's as a wifi extender by turning it into a bridge like in the above comments? And then all you need to do is turn of the DHCP??

arc_nineohnine
Level 3

Many thanks to the participants in this thread: I've now got my Archer acting as a media converter for ADSL to ethernet, and have posted a how-to here https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Howto-using-the-Archer-VR1600v-as-a-network-bridg...

VLAN tagging on the Archer, when acting as a bridge, and not my interior router was the main stumbling block, thanks guys!

Arc.

jobce
Level 3

With the TP-Link VR1600 modem/router in bridge mode will the phone port still work as I am having my landline phone number ported from my Telstra copper line to the TPG phone service.?

Shane

Hi @jobce,

EDIT:

The TPG NBN VOIP phone service should will not work if the modem/router is on bridge mode.

Regards,

With the TP-Link VR1600 modem/router in bridge mode will the phone port still work as I am having my landline phone number ported from my Telstra copper line to the TPG phone service.?

jobce
Level 3

Thanks for your reply and help.

I will let you know how things go when my line is switched from ADSL to VDSL.
Promised to happen tomorrow.
Can't wait to get something faster than 3Mbps down and 0.5Mbps up that we have been living with all these years.
Cheers

Jack2316
Level 2

Hello, 

Can anyone please confirm when changing to bridge mode the VOIP still works. 

Sorry but when reading the thread there is conflicting answers. 

above says "TPG NBN VOIP phone service should not be affected by the modem bridge mode"

However on page one it says VOIP will not work if bridged? 

Any help or clarification will be appreciated. 

Shane

Hi @Jack2316,

Sorry for the confusion, I clarified this with our Engineering Team and they confirmed that VoIP will not work while the modem/router is on Bridge mode.

Note: The VoIP will work if the TPG modem/router is used as an Authenticating Device.

Regards,

Hello, 

Can anyone please confirm when changing to bridge mode the VOIP still works. 

Sorry but when reading the thread there is conflicting answers. 

above says "TPG NBN VOIP phone service should not be affected by the modem bridge mode"

However on page one it says VOIP will not work if bridged? 

Any help or clarification will be appreciated. 

Jack2316
Level 2
Hey Shane, Appreciate your clarification thank you.

If I use the TPG modem/router as an Authenticating Device is there any settings I need to change?
Also can you please advise how will I be able to connect my Asus dsl-ac68u to be used as wifi only?

My aim is to use vr1600 for modem only + voip and dsl-ac68u for wifi. Please note my nbn is hfc is that helps thanks
Shane

Hi @Jack2316,

You do not need to change anything to the modem/router's settings. You need to change the settings of  Asus dsl-ac68u to router only. 

Here are some threads that related to this that you may find helpful, see links below.

Let us know how it will go.

Cheers!