TPG Community

Get online support

How to set up your D-Link DSL-2878 BYO modem for NBN

Shane

D-Link DSL-2878

This article provides modem setup advice for NBN services to get you up and running in just a few simple steps;

First:

You need to know the technology type used to supply your NBN service.

Your NBN technology type can be found in the Installation email we sent to you prior to your NBN service activation. Simply search for nbnorders@tpg.com.au nbn installation confirmed in your email inbox to find this email.

image.png

Please choose your NBN technology type below for Setup help for the D-Link DSL-2878. 

You've Determined: You have an NBN FTTP / Fixed Wireless service

Please follow the steps below to set up your D-Link DSL-2878.

1. Ensure your NBN Connection Box is turned on. 
  1. Plug an Ethernet cable from the designated UNI-D port on your NBN Connection Box into the yellow LAN/WAN port on your D-Link modem (An email with the provisioned UNI-D port number will be sent to you once service installation date has been confirmed).

1.png

1. Plug in the power cable and turn your D-Link modem on using the Power button on the side.

2.png

1. Connect your computer or any device to your modem by plugging an Ethernet cable from the device to the Ethernet port, or you can connect your device via Wi-Fi.  

3.png

1. Go to http://192.168.1.1 in your browser. 
  1. Enter your D-Link password (if this was not changed, the default password is printed on the label found on the back of your modem). 
  1. Select Settings then select Internet. 
  1. Select Ethernet as Configure your WAN connection 
  1. Select Advanced Settings. 
  1. Select PPPoE as Connection  

11. For Data only plan VLAN ID is 0 (or disabled) and for bundled plan VLAN ID is set to 2 (Applicable for NBN Fixed wireless only). 

12. Enter your TPG username and password. 

13. Click Save.

Your D-Link DSL-2878 should now be online. If you are still having issues, please call us on 1300 997 271 for further assistance.

You've Determined: You have an NBN FTTC service

1. Ensure your NBN Connection Device is turned on. 
  1. Plug an Ethernet cable from the yellow Gateway port on your NBN Connection Device into the yellow LAN/WAN port on your D-Link modem.

4.png

1. Plug in the power cable and turn your D-Link modem on using the Power button on the side.

5.png

1. Connect your computer or any device to your modem by plugging an Ethernet cable from the device to the Ethernet port, or you can connect your device via Wi-Fi. 
    6.png

1. Enter your D-Link password (if this was not changed, the default password is printed on the label found on the back of your modem). 
  1. For Data only plan VLAN ID is 0 (or disabled) and for bundled plan VLAN ID is set to 2.
  1. Select PPPoE as Connection 
  1. Enter your TPG username and password. 
  1. Click Save.

Your D-Link DSL-2878 should now be online. If you are still having issues, please call us on 1300 997 271 for further assistance.

You've Determined: You have an NBN FTTN/FTTB service

1. Plug a phone cable from your telephone wall socket into the grey Broadband port on your D-Link modem.

7.png

8.png

1. Connect your computer or any device to your modem by plugging an Ethernet cable from the device to the Ethernet port, or you can connect your device via Wi-Fi. 

9.png

1. Enter your D-Link password (if this was not changed, the default password is printed on the label found on the back of your modem). . 
  1. Select VDSL as Configure your WAN connection 
  1. For Data only plan VLAN ID is 0 (or disabled) and for bundled plan VLAN ID is set to 2.
  1. Select PPPoE as Connection. 
  1. Click Save.

You've Determined: You have an NBN HFC service

1. Ensure your NBN Connection Box is turned on. 
  1. Plug an Ethernet cable from the UNI-D1 port on your NBN Connection Box into the yellow LAN/WAN port on your D-Link modem.

10.png

11.png

12.png

1. Select PPPoE as Connection. 
  1. Click Save. 

Your should now be online. If you are still having issues, please call us on 1300 997 271 for further assistance.

Your D-Link DSL-2878 should now be online. If you are still having issues, please call us on 1300 997 271.

Our technical team will assist in providing you with the basic settings in order to set-up your equipment and connect to the internet. For further assistance and advanced set-up or configuration, please contact the equipment manufacturer.

Related TPG Community Articles:

List of Non-TPG supplied Modem/Routers for use with TPG NBN BYO Data Only Plans
High-Speed NBN BYO Modem Requirements
TPG NBN Home Superfast & Home Ultrafast Plans are here

NBN Plans with BYO modem – How to Connect Using your Own Compatible Modem/Router

NBN Plans with BYO modem – How to Configure Using your Own Compatible Modem/Router

Easy Steps to Improve Wi-Fi Connection In Your Home

List of all TPG broadband setup and modem guides on Community

2 REPLIES 2
khumpol67
Level 2

I tried to follow this guide but it doesnt' work and I called for technicial support. They can't help me to fix it and need to wait for engineer to check but don't know how long, they told me in an hour. Until now I can't get anythings solve by this problem. (D-link DSL-2878 AC750) TPG staff told me nbn medem detected my d-link router. 

Shane

Welcome to the community, khumpol67 !!

Thanks for raising this to us. We'd love to help check the status of the escalated fault, shoot me a Private Message with your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file) to better understand the situation.

How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards,

I tried to follow this guide but it doesnt' work and I called for technicial support. They can't help me to fix it and need to wait for engineer to check but don't know how long, they told me in an hour. Until now I can't get anythings solve by this problem. (D-link DSL-2878 AC750) TPG staff told me nbn medem detected my d-link router.