TPG Community

Get online support

Is a Tp-Link Archer VR1600 reconfigured to a modem only compatible with an ASUS RT-AX3000

feral1939
Level 2

I have a NBN fttb connection and a Tp-Link Archer VR 1600 modem router which does not have VPN capabilities and I would like to know if I reconfigure it to be a modem only would it be compatible with an ASUS RT-AX3000 which is VPN capable so I can join a VPN service.

7 REPLIES 7
BasilDV

Hi @feral1939

If you are under the bundled internet and VoIP service, then the VoIP will not work if you bridge the provided modem/router.

If that's okay, then you may check this article on how to bridge the TP-Link VR1600.

You may be able to configure your ASUS router with the PPPoE connection for it to work the service.

BasilDV

feral1939
Level 2

Hi BasilDV,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I don't have a VoiP service and the ASUS has PPPoE so far so good.

BTW, could you please tell me which port on the VR I would plug a connecting cable to the ASUS WAN port.

Thanks.

BasilDV

Hi @feral1939

Since it will be in bridge mode, then you'll use the WAN port.

If in case it did not work, then you may try the available LAN ports.

BasilDV

feral1939
Level 2

Hi BasilDV,

Thanks for your answer.

I think that now I will be able to buy an ASUS and configure the VR thanks to your link and join a VPN now.

Feral1939

BasilDV

You're welcome @feral1939.

Have a good day!

BasilDV

david64
Level 15

Hi @feral1939 . You mention joining a VPN service. Is this to hide your ip address on the internet?

One way to access a VPN is to use a VPN client on your device: Windows, Macos, Android, IOS. The client makes a normal connection to the VPN server. Each device could connect to a different server.

If you can't install a client on your device, you need a router that can do it. The Asus manual isn't clear on this; it has some gibberish about VPN:

"NAT Passthrough allows a Virtual Private Network (VPN)
connection to pass through the router to the network clients."

This user was trying to get an Asus DSL AC88U to connect to TPG. He used this one because it has a built-in VPN client function. The manual doesn't say how but the menu does have a VPN selection. He can't install a VPN client on all devices so the router will do it. But I don't know the outcome.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/nbn-modem-settings-for-ASUS-DSL-AC88U/m-p/116621

Regarding bridging VR1600, this might be a bit clearer. Basically, delete existing VLAN 2 connection and create a new VLAN 2 in bridge mode.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Archer-vr1600v-bridge-mode-Totally-confused/m-p/1...

The cable goes from Asus WAN to Archer LAN.

feral1939
Level 2

Hi@david64

Thanks for your reply but I have decided not to prsue this topic any further as all the sugestions etc. are "above my pay grade and experience".

It seems to me that even if I managed to somehow find an ADSL/vDSL modem router there is no way I could use it. (see poor old ASUS DSL-88U's ownner trying to connect to TPG)

Thanks to all community members help but I am calling it a day.  Cheers.