TPG Community

Get online support

VR1600v firmware download

SOLVED Go to solution
BasilDV

Hi @nic85,

We'll arrange a call from our Tech team to check on this further.

Please send me a PM with your preferred time and best number to be contacted.

BasilDV

TALeong
Level 2

Hi,

I am using the following modem and firmware.

Hardware Version:Archer VR1600v v1 00000000

Firmware Version:0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 180828 Rel.56416n

Could you please confirm with your technical/engineering team if this firmware is locked? If I were to use another provider apart from TPG, will I still be able to use the modem and firmware as above?

Thank you.

Ahra_G

Hi @TALeong

We appreciate the query. For security reasons, the home phone component of your service with us is encrypted and requires the use of our modem to make and receive phone calls. Unfortunately, the company has made a business decision to not make the VOIP settings available for 3rd party routers. 

Though you can definitely use the modem for internet use, so long as it has the correct PPPoE username & password. 

If there is anything that we can be of assistance, feel free to let us know. 

Thank you. 

TALeong
Level 2

I am only interested in the Internet functionality for this modem. So you can confirm this modem can be used with any other NBN provider?

I do not use the phone component at all. In fact, I do not even have a home phone at all.

Ahra_G

Yes, you can use it for internet given the right details, @TALeong

-Ahra_G

ptdafool
Level 3

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of not being able to upgrade the firmware myself but I can live with it if that's how things work with TPG.

I'm not cut over to them yet, but their modem works with my previous ISP so I can still get online with it which is great.  That part I was able to configure myself, just a little stumped when I couldn't configure the VoIP myself, but at least this explains it.  I've a newer firmware version than is mentioned here, so will wait for automation to do it's thing when I'm cut over.

I get why it's like this.  Kind of a plug and play thing for the masses to reduce support costs.  Makes sense from a business perspective I suppose.

L_user
Level 3

I would DEFINITELY like my voip username and password. When we signed up with iiNet, it never said we would be locked down to the router they were sending us. Matter of fact it said the router was optional. I feel this could almost be illegal or signing contract under false pretenses.
Also I hate that fact that we all have to individually spam these forums just to get our firmware. Can we not just download it from somewhere wouldnt that not only free up your guys hands but be a 1000x more convenient for everyone else

ivonnegue86
Level 2
Hello:
I have a Vr1600v and its firmware is obsolete: 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 180828 Rel.56416n. May you please update it?
icanfly
Level 3
I have just come across this page... What year is this? My Netgear routers from early 2000's could auto update their own firmwares by letting it search for the latest, download and install it. Even gave you a notification when a new firmware was available.

Ok so this system of needing your ISP to push the firmware out for you is not new or unheard of but why should you have to manually request it? If a new firmware comes out which could fix bugs or improve services why wouldn't it be pushed out automatically?

I am stunned. I have sent a support request to have my firmware pushed out as I too am on an older one

0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 190228 Rel.72265n

Can someone please look into it. Thanks
rstephenson04
Level 2

I know that this is wishful thinking that a new firmware update may give me some of the functionality I lost with my old modem when I joined TPG NBN and received this very basic tp-link, so can I check if I have the latest.

Firmware Version:0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 190228 Rel.72265n 

Hardware Version:Archer VR1600v v2 00000000

Cheers