Modem overheating

jgwall
Level 3

I have an TP Link Archer vr1600v that gets quite warm and the plastic has turned yellow in a band near the top of the unit. It is now three years old. Is this normal? And, if not how do I replace it as I can't see it being in warranty. 

9 REPLIES 9
Ahra_G

Hi @jgwall

I've managed to locate your account and did some remote testing. It actually shows that your modem is connected for more than a week now. We normally advise our customers to perform a reboot at least once a week. 

Rebooting the modem is one of the basic troubleshooting for most internet problems. Modems are like any other electronic devices, it is not built to be running at all times. One of the reasons why we advise this is that when you leave your modem on for too long, it will tend to stop performing at its best. 

Nonetheless, we still want to do further checks on the equipment. How long has it been since you noticed that it's been getting some temp on it? 

Thanks! 

Ahra_G

jgwall
Level 3

Firstly I have never been advised to re-boot the modem weekly. Not once. However it has been re-booted a number of times due to the NBN dropping out in my area, which is country NSW, or I just re-boot it when the NBN speed seems to be slower. The discoloration of the modem has been noticed for a few months , particularly over summer this year. The modem is in a highly ventilated position as I am aware of any heat build up around any electronic equipment. I am not the first person to bring this matter into the Community forum, and a quick serach will turn up other threads. Over to you. 

Ahra_G

Please send a picture of the modem via private message, @jgwall

Also, do let me know of your convenient time to receive a call tomorrow,16 April 2022 or your preferred date/time so I can organise a call back from our Tech team for assistance. 

Thanks! 

Ahra_G

jgwall
Level 3

Having a technician call me will not fix the discoloration from overheating of the modem, and the modem is operating OK.  It needs to be replaced so can you advise me how that can happen please, as has been arranged for others with the same issue with an TP-Link Archer VR1600V modem. Back to you, again.

Ahra_G

Exactly what the team is suppose to assist you with, @jgwall

We'll wait for your preferred date/time for the call so I can organise one for you. 

Thanks! 

jgwall
Level 3

Two PM sent as requested. 

BasilDV

Hi @jgwall

Our team tried to call you to no avail.

Shoot me a PM with your preferred time and best number to be contacted today.

BasilDV

Aa181
Level 2
Hi, we have the same exact problem. We've been with TPG for about 8 years now. Never had an issue like this with the ADSL modem. We just noticed this problem recently too. A yellow stain on the top left corner. We were on the phone fpr 1 hour yesterday but nothing came out of it. We need a technician to call us back ASAP
BasilDV

Hi @Aa181

We'd like to check on what we can arrange for you.

Kindly send us a private message with your account details.

BasilDV