Unreliable modem / router

mpinnuck
Level 2

My modem/router LAN NS is unreliable and frequently have to use IP address or restart device.

Is there a firmware upgrade from

0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 220518 Rel.32480n

6 REPLIES 6
kate_

Hey @mpinnuck, we can confirm if your modem firmware is all up to date!

What kind of modem are you using at the moment?

mpinnuck
Level 2

Hi

Archer VR1600v v2.0
Firmware 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 220518 Rel.32480n

regards

mark

adib_rahmang
Community Manager

Hey Mark,

You're already on the latest firmware. 

david64
Master

Hi @mpinnuck . What do you mean when you say "use IP address or restart device"?

mpinnuck
Level 2

On a network yo can use a device/machine name or IP address to communicate with that device. The modem/router on a home network is responsible for the DHCP and Naming services on the network. Periodically local name resolution disappears and the only way to communicate with a NAS or computer is by IP address. Restarting the devices causes it to re-register with name service on the router and Named access to the device is restores. This happens with multiple devices on the LAN. restarting the modem also restores local name resolution. I had to put mDNS on a raspberry pi to get reliable local name service. Can I just replace the tp-link modem with a better device?

david64
Master

@mpinnuck . If you use the VOIP home phone, you have to use the TPG-supplied router. Otherwise, you can use some other model.

How old is your VR1600?

I wasn't aware that a router contains name entries. My VR1600 doesn't have any. It does have "client names" but these aren't hostnames. It does provide DNS ip addresses to each device when it connects to the router. Devices that need it have a "hosts" file which contains DNS entries.

Can you provide a screenshot of the naming function in the router (anonymised, so change the names)?

Do your devices have reserved ip addresses, especially the NAS device?