TPG Community

Get online support

Missing VPN Setup on Archer VR1600v v2

Highlighted

Hi All,

In the best interests of our network and customer security, our vendor and security team have chosen to disable the VPN Server functionality on the TPLink VR1600

If you wish to use VPN server functionality, we recommend you install 3rd party software on your PC/server which will address your needs.

Regards,

Highlighted
Level 2
What you are suggesting disables the ability to have all devices on site connect via VPN without each device having a seperate configuration.

Where was the warning that this was being disabled?

Bye bye TPG!
Highlighted
Level 1b
Hi Shane

This is disappointing that TPG elected to remove a useful feature. Can you please elaborate on the security concerns with the VPN feature?

Also, can you please confirm whether a third party router which does support VPN (eg netgear r7000) can be used instead of the Archer?

Thanks

James
Highlighted

Hi @loada,

You may use any 3rd party modem/router that supports VPN feature as long as its VDSL / NBN ready and use VLAN ID 2 it should work, we just like to set your expectation that, we provide the modem for all our NBN plans as they are sold as an Internet & Home Phone Bundle. As the Home Phone component of your bundle is encrypted for security, you will need to use our modem if you are to make and receive phone calls.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Regards,

Hi Shane

This is disappointing that TPG elected to remove a useful feature. Can you please elaborate on the security concerns with the VPN feature?

Also, can you please confirm whether a third party router which does support VPN (eg netgear r7000) can be used instead of the Archer?

Thanks

James
Highlighted
Level 2
Level 2

I also was using Open VPN on my VR1600 Router.  Very useful feature (and indeed posted an aricle in the community forum to use the VPN to remote boot a PC and login with remote desktop.

I would like to see the VPN option re installed to my router.  I spoke with support last night and they seggested a factory reset. After reading this post I would have been very angry to do a factory reset, reload all my seetings to find I did not fix the problem.

Come on TPG - can do better.  I have been a TPG customer since the "Dial Up" days.

Highlighted

Hi @RLK,

We appreciate your feedback, we'll take this into account.

Regards,

I also was using Open VPN on my VR1600 Router.  Very useful feature (and indeed posted an aricle in the community forum to use the VPN to remote boot a PC and login with remote desktop.

I would like to see the VPN option re installed to my router.  I spoke with support last night and they seggested a factory reset. After reading this post I would have been very angry to do a factory reset, reload all my seetings to find I did not fix the problem.

Come on TPG - can do better.  I have been a TPG customer since the "Dial Up" days.