TPG Community

Get online support

nbn home phone - error message - line congested

Jay888
Level 2

Like others before me, I cannot call a Sydney number (government office). I tried 3x from 09:30 to 10:02 today 14May21 and each time heard the following message: lines congested, error OCA 0142.

As friends with other internet and phone providers have not had this experience (I have in the past but did not report it), I wonder (a) is this defect limited only to TPG's VOIP; (b) what exactly is the problem? and (c) if this problem is resolved, how can I ensure it does not happen again?

Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
Riezl

Hi @Jay888 ,

We recommend having a read of these community articles, which may help with your concern:

If the issue persists, please send us a private message with your TPG customer ID, username and complete address so we can pull up the account and further assist you.

To send a PM, please refer to this link: How do I private message (PM) in the community

Jay888
Level 2

I just looked into your solutions, thank you for them,  and everything seems Ok with plugs and set up of the phone.

I was going to turn the modem on and off, but given

(a) I am online, so I can connect to the internet (even though I signed up for NBN 50 I am getting NBN 16) and

(b) just called another Sydney number with no problems at all

So I did not turn the modem on and off.

I did try to call the state gov't office yet again, this time at 11:00 (the third time I tried to call) and again heard the same error msg.

For what it's worth, I will send a prvt msg as you suggest but given my very poor experience over the last few months with speeds of under 20 Mbps, even though I was emailed that I was given complimentary upgrade to 200 Mbps, mostly I receive super slow speeds (unlike my neigbour who is with Telstra on their NBN 50 plan who nearly always gets what he paid for), I think it's time to move to a more relaible provider.

Riezl

Hi @Jay888, we can see that your concern has been escalated to our Engineering Team and they are doing their best to resolve the issue as soon as possible. You will be contacted by the Case Engineer through SMS or phone call for any additional updates.

Jay888
Level 2

Thanks for your message. So far the engineers have not contacted me. Earlier I wrote that even though I am paying for NBN 50, I am receiving 16-20 Mbps.

But today takes the cake: a new low of 2.8 Mbps download speed. You read right: <3 Mbps. And to think in some countries speeds north of 100 Mbps are not only common, but cost a fraction of the $80 per month I pay.

Ahra_G

Hi @Jay888

The assigned Engineer has tried contacting you to discuss the matter at hand regarding your homephone, to no avail. 

I believe the officer has advised you to contact the state government to confirm whether you have a valid or incorrect number. The number has been tested with other ISPs and was also unreachable on their end. 

For your internet issue, I can have a member of our Technical Team to contact and assist you. Just let me know of your most convenient time to receive a call so I can organise a call back to be made tomorrow. 

Regards,

Ahra_G

Jay888
Level 2

Thanks for the reply. As to the phone number I tried to call and was unsuccessful, I was merely dialing a number I received via voice mail and text. I will verify with the relevant state gov't dept if the number is indeed valid.

As for me receiving 3 Mbps where my neighbour who (a) is also on a NBN 50 plan, but with Telstra and receives 50 Mbps and (b) shares the same low end infrastructure (being HFC), I really do not want to set aside more time to speak yet again with your engineers/staff etc. I just want the problem solved or alternatively, advise me of the process to change providers. While I am so not a fan of Telstra, my neighbour's experience (with Telstra) when compared to mine (with TPG) makes clear that I could not possibly be worse off with Telstra. Unless they offer a speed of 2 Mbps, which I doubt.

It seems that my speed is being throttled by TPG.

Ahra_G

Hi @Jay888

TPG do not throttle speed unless you are not subscribed to an unlimited plan. 

I have since raised the speed connection issue to our Engineering Team for further investigation. 

Please ensure to leave the modem connected and turned on for remote testing purposes. 

Further updates will be provided via phone call or SMS. 

Regards,

Ahra_G

Jay888
Level 2

Thanks for the email. The modem is always on. I notice that I have dropouts if I leave my laptop unattended and wonder if that is a result of TPG's remote testing.

BasilDV

Hi @Jay888

The modem/router is still connected from the NBN server for more than 4 days now.

If you are using the WiFi connection, then signal interference may have caused the connection to drop.

You may check these links to improve your home WiFi network:

Our Engineers are currently investigating your reported case and updates will be given as soon as it becomes available.

BasilDV