TPG Community

Get online support

5ghz wifi loses connection archer vr1600v

Joseph_D

@jls @surrid  we just received an update from our Acccess Engineering team, they are the ones who look after the hardware and networks that we connect to.

They informed me that the new firmware version above is not an official firmware that we can release as it was made specifically to help with the communication of @chicaneau's modem with TPG's server. This firmware version does not carry any changes or updates on the wifi. Our Engineers did however admit that changes were made on the WiFi settings that contributed to fixing the problem.

My colleague @Shane will gather the TPG details of those reporting issues with WiFi 5 GHz so we can provide assistance.

Kind regards,

Joseph D

jls
Level 3
Level 3
Hi @Shane and @Joseph_D

Thanks for the clarification

One of your team called me back and coordinated an on site investigation tomorrow. Interestingly the 5G has been working more reliably today. I’ll update here what I learn tomorrow if anything.
chicaneau
Level 4

@jls great to hear, my 5GHz has been flawless since the firmware update. I can do 5+ speedtest.net tests without an issue. Previously it couldn't complete one test. 

surrid
Level 3

Thanks @Joseph_D & @Shane 

Ok - whatever needs to be done to solve the problem, I'm on board. But to be clear, I can't wait too many more weeks without pursuing some rebate on my bill, we do pay for the router and service to work! And the 5Ghz is clearly a key function, currently not working as advertised.

Anyway, I await further instruction from you Smiley Very Happy

jls
Level 3
Level 3
Replying here as per my commitment the other day.

So since about two days ago my 5G wifi has been working fine. I made no changes to the settings and nothing in my house changed, but wifi hasn’t dropped out once.

The TOG technician came and told me that 5G is highly susceptible to interference and that if nothing in my house had changed it could have been interference from nearby. This feels unlikely to me, but as the issue is resolved I’m not complaining.

To confirm I’m still on the firmware version which came with the modem to begin with. ( 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 190228 Rel.72265n )

Hope others experiencing the issue are able to get it resolved.
surrid
Level 3

@jls I don't see how it can be an interference issue - the fact that it fails only during an intensive upload (i.e. speedtest) and the fact that the 5ghz remains visible but "non-connectable" until the router is rebooted are both characteristics that don't fit with interference behaviour, to my knowledge. I suspect the technician just didn't know, and that's the default response they give. 

Also, to reference @Joseph_D 's earlier reply, "Our Engineers did however admit that changes were made on the WiFi settings that contributed to fixing the problem."

Thanks for circling back though! I'm crossing my fingers they can precisely determine the issue as per Joseph_D's message. 

jls
Level 3
Level 3

Yup all fair points. It's been reliable for only 48 hours so if there were a firmware update avilable I'd take it too

DavidGC
Level 3

My household has been having this problem for months, and it seems to be getting progressively worse.

5ghz will lose connectivity with high load devices (e.g., VR headset).

Once connectivity is lost, it is impossible for those devices to reconnect on the 5ghz network.

2ghz connectivity remains possible, but the slow speed is not suitable for the device.

Restarting the disconnected device will not restore 5ghz connectivity, and the router itself needs to be power cycled.

What is the proper process today to resolve this issue?

My router hardware version:  Archer VR1600v v1 00000000

My router firmware version:   1.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 180828 Rel.35294n

Thanks for any help you can give.

Shane

Hi All,

Our Engineering team has provided us with the changes done on @chicaneau's modem.

By default the 5Ghz Channel and Bandwidth are set to “Auto”. These settings were changed by specifying a channel and setting Bandwidth to 40MHz.

It is best to use a WiFi analyser to scan the 5GHz frequency to select a channel that has no or minimal interference when making the changes.

There are free WiFi analyser application available on Apple Store/Google Play Store that you can install and use to check which Wi-Fi channel have less interference.

We'd like to set your expectation that TPG is not promoting any specific application nor will it be responsible for any possible issue that it may cause on the system.

Regards,

chicaneau
Level 4

@Shane wrote:

Hi All, Our Engineering team has provided us with the changes done on @chicaneau's modem.

By default the 5Ghz Channel and Bandwidth are set to “Auto”. These settings were changed by specifying a channel and setting Bandwidth to 40MHz.

Hi @Shane, you might want to go back and check what they are telling you because my 5GHz WiFi settings are set to AUTO Channel and AUTO Channel Width. No custom settings. 

What the TPG Engineering Team have done is upgraded the version to a newer code release, namely:

Firmware Version:1.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 190305 Rel.72906n Hardware Version:Archer VR1600v v2 00000000

To:
Firmware Version:1.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 200826 Rel.77218n Hardware Version:Archer VR1600v v2 00000000