TPG Community

Get online support

How to Configure Phone 2 on Archer VR1600V

adrezs
Level 2

My neighbour just got NBN FTTN a few months after me, 2 houses down and across the road.

I added a phone socket on the wall so he could connect his analog phones to the router.

He says that the Phone on Phone Port 1 rings on inbound calls but Phone on Port 2 does not ?

So I checked my configuration and both ports have the inbound number configured so if I plug into either port the phone works with inbound calls.

So I check on his router only port 1 is configured, both were pre-configured from  TPG.

I log a call with the help desk, and they are arguing with me that only Port 1 is configured, I said yes, but Port 2 also needs to be configured.

Does anyone have the instructions on configuring Port 2 also, mine is done so I assume it should be easy enough to configure but can't find the settings anywhere

7 REPLIES 7
orbistat
Level 8

Hi @adrezs welcome to the community, the phone 2 function in the VR1600v is a totally seperate circuit which would usually be used where there’s 2nd different number. If you’ve only got the 1 number, all phones need to be connected to the phone 1 port only, this is mentioned in the setup guide that would’ve come with the modem, use an external adapter if required.

Hammond
Level 2

I am wondering this also. Is it possible to simply configure the phone 2 port to the same configuration as the phone 1 port. That seems like it should be reasonably straightforward. Or is this not possible and is the purchase of a phone double adapter required to plug into the phone 1 port. Seems a bit strange when there is already a second phone port there.

orbistat
Level 8

Hi @Hammond The phone ports will always be considered different circuits, if both were configured to the same number imagine what would happen if someone was on a call using phone port 1 and someone was trying to dial in from outside, the caller will hear a busy tone, as they should.

You only have one phone number so can only be on 1 call at a time. The second phone port will not start ringing. If you want to use more than 1 phone simply connect them both to the phone 1 port using an adapter.

Hammond
Level 2

Thank you.

I have been chasing this for a while and that seems to be a good answer. Looks like a double adapter pluged into phone 1 will be the solution.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply.

Hammond
Level 2
Hi adrezs,
I was wondering when you mention that you checked your configuration, did it list both ports as having the same phone number for incoming calls. Did it offer you the chance to manually input details into the phone 1 and phone 2 ports?
I got into the modem settings as per instructions but there seemed to be no option for enetering an additional phone number for phone 2, even if it was going to be the same as phone 1, also there seemed to be no Telephony option.
Cheers.
janharrison
Level 2
I have recently got NBN (HFC) with one phone number ported. WIted a few days while old phone was working, then plugged it in to modem port1 and it seems to work. Unplug and try old copper line and it’s dead so assume disconnection(??instantly??). Then plug 2nd phone into modem port2 and get dial tone??? which I read is in fact generated by modem. Dial the phone on port 1 from port 2 and port1 rings?????!!!!! So what is port2 connected to or from??
Thanks
Ahra_G

Hi @janharrison

Your homephone relies on your internet therefore, any issues on your internet service may also affect the phone service.

Based on remote test, there appears to be no evident line issue which can be service affecting. In addition, the homephone is provisioned to work on phone port 1. 

Here are a few Community articles on which you can refer to for basic troubleshooting:

Otherwise, let us have your best call back time & number via private message so we can have our Technical Team to contact and assist you. 

Regards,

Ahra_G