Modem upgrade

SOLVED Go to solution
franky81
Level 3

Dear TPG staffs,

G'day. I have just accepted the special price offer from TPG to upgrade my NBN plan from 50 to 200. Both TPG and my friends reminded me a good modem is necessary to fully utilize the high speed advantage of this super fast plan. My current modem (router?) is provided by TPG for free 2 years ago when upgrading my connection from ADSL2+ to NBN. The wifi connection speed is not so well, even with the current NBN200 plan, the wifi speed test done next to the modem is only around 30mbps. In comparison, when connecting my pc with an ethernet cable and use it as mobile hotspot to provide wifi connection to my mobile, the speed could get up to 45mbps. Therefore may I upgrade my modem (router?) by purchasing a better one from TPG? By the way, my current modem is TPLink AC1600.

Have a good day.

Thanks

Frank

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Joseph_D

@franky81  The Wifi Set up on this article How to set up your TP-Link VR1600v modem and the info on this article Wireless Channel on your modem - what is it and why should I change it? may help with your issue wherein the speed is correct via ethernet cable whilst it is 1/6 of the speed via Wifi.

Kind regards,

Joseph D

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Riezl

Hi @franky81 ,

We currently provide the same make and model, TP Link VR1600v. For you to maximize the service, we recommend having a read of these articles;

Let us know if you have further queries.

franky81
Level 3

Thanks for the reply Riezl. The guide states the wifi speed should around half the speed of ethnernet connection. However, my ethnernet connection could easily reach 200mbps while the wifi is 30mbps at most when the test is done right next to the modem. Thats clearly less than half the speed. Do you have any suggestions which modem should I purchase to upgrade my wifi speed? Thanks!

Joseph_D

@franky81  The Wifi Set up on this article How to set up your TP-Link VR1600v modem and the info on this article Wireless Channel on your modem - what is it and why should I change it? may help with your issue wherein the speed is correct via ethernet cable whilst it is 1/6 of the speed via Wifi.

Kind regards,

Joseph D