TPG Community

Get online support

NBN Plans with BYO modem – How to Configure Using your Own Compatible Modem/Router

Shane

Once you have connected your NBN devices by following these steps, you will need to configure your modem/router in order to connect to the internet.

How to configure your modem/router:

1. Connect a computer or mobile device to your compatible modem/router via Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi.
  1. Access your modem/router configuration page by entering its default gateway in the address bar of your internet browser.
  1. Log in by using the device’s username and password.

Brand

Default Gateway

Modem Log In

Username

Password

D-Link

admin

admin

Netcomm

admin

admin

Netgear

http://192.168.0.1 or http://www.routerlogin.net

admin

password

ASUS

admin

admin

TP-Link

admin

admin

FRITZ!Box

admin or admin123

admin or admin123

If you are not sure of your modem/router's default gateway or log in details, refer to the device's user guide. In most cases, the modem/router's login details can be found on a sticker on the device.

1. Some modem/routers have a setup wizard or a quick set up menu for you to follow. Alternatively, you can go to Advanced Settings (or Network Settings) and enter the below details for your connection:

Username

Your TPG Username

Password

Your TPG Password

Connection Type/Encapsulation

PPPoE

*For FTTN Select VDSL or VDSL2 as modulation type

Ensure your username, password and connection type are correct before proceeding. All other details can be left to its default setting.

As there are many modem/router brands out there, the default gateway to configure the modem/router will differ. Refer to your modem/router's guide or contact its manufacturer for detailed instructions.

Check out our helpful modem support guides:

1. Once you’ve saved all the settings wait for a few minutes as your device will try to connect to the network. The internet light will turn on once everything is set up and you can then test your internet service if it is working.

If your internet service will not work after configuring your device, please message us here or contact us via https://www.tpg.com.au/support/contact for assistance.

Helpful TPG Community articles

12 REPLIES 12
davidlee61
Level 3
Hi there
We just bought a new modem D-Link Dir-x5460 because it was on TPG’s recommended list for NBN FTTP super/ultrafast connection the modem comes with good specs and excellent Wi-Fi range but unfortunately we have issues with connectivity and TPG technical team couldn’t find a solution and referred me to this forum to see if any other customers had the same issue which I think they had.

So I suggest that TPG find a solution or remove this modem from your recommended modem list please contact me to discuss
BasilDV

Hi @davidlee61

The router was tested by our team and worked with our service.

You may need to contact the equipment manufacturer to confirm if the device is faulty just like the other customers and look for a replacement.

BasilDV

davidlee61
Level 3
How can all this people have bought a faulty equipment it seems this D-Link DIR-AX5460 router is not compatible with TPG NBN FTTP system/services it’s wasting everyone’s time buying it and trying to fix it, then return it a get something else.

TPG please remove this from your list and add Asus as you been recommending in this forum
skdg
Level 2
Thank you so much!
comatots
Level 3
Hi there,

I have recently purchased a Grandstream GWN7062 router and am having difficulties getting it to connect via the NBN NTD. We've input all required credentials and settings and still having no luck.

The only thing we have been unable to test is setting the VLAN ID up, as the router has a minimum range of 3 to ~4300 whereas everything I'm seeing online requires the VLAN ID to be set to 2. I have BYO only plan so I don’t expect this will be relevant anyway.

We've also tried various MAC addresses and other alternate setting combinations to no avail.

Current Plan: NBN Cable Broadband Unlimited Ultrafast
“TPG’s NBN Home Superfast and NBN Home Ultrafast plans are offered as a fixed broadband data-only service delivered via the National Broadband Network (NBN) using FTTP or HFC technology to the network boundary point of your premises.”

The device being replaced is a TP-Link AC1600 which works but not well.

Any assistance to get this unit working would be greatly appreciated Smiley Happy

Thanks!
Shane

Hi @comatots,

The Grandstream GWN7062 is a standalone router. You need to have a VDSL2+ modem to work with NBN-HFC.

You can use it as a router extension on our supplied TP Link modem.

Regards,

Hi there,

I have recently purchased a Grandstream GWN7062 router and am having difficulties getting it to connect via the NBN NTD. We've input all required credentials and settings and still having no luck.

The only thing we have been unable to test is setting the VLAN ID up, as the router has a minimum range of 3 to ~4300 whereas everything I'm seeing online requires the VLAN ID to be set to 2. I have BYO only plan so I don’t expect this will be relevant anyway.

We've also tried various MAC addresses and other alternate setting combinations to no avail.

Current Plan: NBN Cable Broadband Unlimited Ultrafast
“TPG’s NBN Home Superfast and NBN Home Ultrafast plans are offered as a fixed broadband data-only service delivered via the National Broadband Network (NBN) using FTTP or HFC technology to the network boundary point of your premises.”

The device being replaced is a TP-Link AC1600 which works but not well.

Any assistance to get this unit working would be greatly appreciated Smiley Happy

Thanks!

comatots
Level 3

Thanks Shane - The supplied modem/router I have is the TP-Link Archer AC1600 which only has a maximum broadband speed of 100mbps, whereas the Ultrafast offers up to 450mbps during peak times.

How do I go about getting a replacement modem to accommodate these speeds? It's a bit impractical paying extra for the ultrafast if I don't have the required hardware to facilitate them, and would explain why my speeds have been so low this entire time. Would have been good to know this when I was offered the upgrade!

TPLink AC1600 BB Speed.jpg

Many thanks Smiley Happy

Shane

Hi @comatots ,

We created a list of high-speed modem/router please see the article below.

High-Speed NBN BYO Modem Requirements

Regards,

Thanks Shane - The supplied modem/router I have is the TP-Link Archer AC1600 which only has a maximum broadband speed of 100mbps, whereas the Ultrafast offers up to 450mbps during peak times.

How do I go about getting a replacement modem to accommodate these speeds? It's a bit impractical paying extra for the ultrafast if I don't have the required hardware to facilitate them, and would explain why my speeds have been so low this entire time. Would have been good to know this when I was offered the upgrade!

TPLink AC1600 BB Speed.jpg

Many thanks Smiley Happy

medge
Level 2

Hi Shane,

Regarding your comment about the Grandstream. it is a router/modem for the record. It supports PPPoE authentication in the device setup. I use the same device for other NBN connections (outside of TPG) all the time.

The issue is the requirement that the circuit requires the VLAN ID Tag of 2 (Exclusively used by TPG) - which is not supported by Grandstream on any of the WAN ports (I have checked with them directly.).

My understanding is that VLAN ID 2 is reserved for Voice/Data services - which this device does not support. It would appear from what we see on the TPG invoice that we are still being charged for a $0 phone service, which means although the expectation is that this is a data-only service, there is still an underlying configuration item that binds it to a voice profile.

If you can remove this part of the configuration (the phone service is not used, and an FNN is not required on an NBN service generically, the AVC is sufficient.) - then no VLAN ID tag is required at all to establish the service connection, even though the credentials themselves are likely not used.

Cheers @comatots Brother :-)