TPG Community

Get online support

Omada Network Configuration Help

thehvacdude
Level 2

We have a VDSL connection and would like to set the TP-Link Omada network up as per below.

Archer VR1600v (to be used as DSL modem only) >TP-Link ER707-M2 (router DHCP) >TL-SL2428P (Switch) / Unifi POE Switch.

There are also two EAP610-Outdoor plugged into the TL-SL2428P switch.

Both switches are plugged into the gigabit LAN ports 4 & 5 on the TP-Link ER707-M2 router.

I have plugged a network cable into the LAN port 1 of the VR1600 into the WAN port of the ER707 router, is this correct?

I currently have the archer VR1600v set up in bridge mode (VLAN2) with DHCP disabled, i have then enabled DHCP and configured WAN settings on the TP-Link ER707-M2 router.

The network & the internet seems to work until i reboot the VR1600v, once i do that it shows that it shows that it is in bridge mode and i lose internet. The error message i get in the ER707 is "PPoE failed to connect to the server because sending PADI timed out". 

I spoke to TPG who told me i need to enter a password for the internet to connect however i did not need one in the VR1600 as it just had "noPassword", they also provided me with a different username to the one that was set in my VR1600. I tried all combinations they provided without success. Each time i just got the same error "PPoE failed to connect to the server because sending PADI timed out"

In the screenshots attched you can see the dashboard doesn't show the gateway which also makes me think something is wrong.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12
BasilDV

Hi @thehvacdude 

We'd like to check on what type of service you have with us and see what we can do to make your setup work.

Kindly send us a private message with your account details.

BasilDV

thehvacdude
Level 2
It is a VDSL connection 👍
thehvacdude
Level 2

I have sent you a DM.

I have temperarily set up the archer 1600 again so we have internet for the business on Monday but the speeds are terrible for what is supposed to be a 100mbps connection.

david64
Level 15

Hi @thehvacdude . Your description is correct. The VR1600 is put in bridge mode to provide the interface to the node and do VLAN processing. Since the internet does work, you must have done it properly.

(To put VR1600 in bridge mode:

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Archer-vr1600v-bridge-mode-Totally-confused/m-p/1...

Basically, delete the VLAN 2 connection and add a new VLAN 2 connection in Bridge mode.)

When VR1600 is in bridge mode, the DSL indicator should be on, but not Internet indicator. Wifi indicators should be off. You cannot login to VR1600 in this mode. Factory reset is needed to get back to normal mode.

The ER707 config is PPPoE, TPG username (with or without @tpg.com.au) and password. When it connects to the internet, it should show the dynamic WAN ip address given by TPG.

If you reboot VR1600, does the ER707 reconnect to the internet?

The ER707 is unaware of the VR1600 which is acting like a switch, especially since it hasn't asked for an ip address from ER707.

How many wifi devices are you using? How many drop out? These units use band steering. Can the wifi devices work on both bands?

david64
Level 15

@thehvacdude . While you have the VR1600 in normal mode, check the DSL stats. They show max line speeds and line quality.

Can you try the speed test on the TPG support page? Use ethernet computer.

Also, from an ethernet computer:

ping -n 20 tpg.com.au

tracert tpg.com.au

thehvacdude
Level 2

@david64 Thank you so much for you advice!!

To be clear when i had it all set up as i wanted eg ER707 & VR1600 in bridge mode i was not able to connect to the internet at all.

With the VR1600 in bridge mode (VLAN2) i was unable to log into it which as you said is normal.

I have updated my initial post to add more detail, hope you can help.

david64
Level 15

@thehvacdude . With the VR1600 in normal mode and connected to internet, can you verify that VLAN is enabled? (DSL and Internet lights on.)

You should get DSL stats at this time. Your distance from the node affects your speed.

Did you follow the instructions in the link to put VR1600 in bridge mode?

Are you using ER707 port 1 for the WAN connection? Maybe factory reset on it before making settings.

Factory reset on VR1600 puts it in auto config mode to connect to TPG ACS server. At this point, it has an actual internet connection.

thehvacdude
Level 2

@david64 

With the VR1600 in normal mode and connected to internet, can you verify that VLAN is enabled? (DSL and Internet lights on.) - Yes it is

You should get DSL stats at this time. Your distance from the node affects your speed. - Noted

Did you follow the instructions in the link to put VR1600 in bridge mode? 100%

Are you using ER707 port 1 for the WAN connection? Maybe factory reset on it before making settings. - Yes i was using port 1, i tried a factory reset then adopted it in the OC200 controller and configured WAN settings

Factory reset on VR1600 puts it in auto config mode to connect to TPG ACS server. At this point, it has an actual internet connection. - Yeah i discovered that when i factory reset it, thank  god for that feature as my buisness (where the network issue is) will still have internet come Monday 

thehvacdude
Level 2

@david64 The error i get on the ER707 is "PPoE failed to connect to the server because sending PADI timed out" this doesn't sound like a username and password error & google search is not being much help Smiley Sad