TPG Community

Get online support

google chromecast doesnt work with sagemcom 5g wifi router

david64
Level 15

@rrajagopal . When I first saw these Sagemcom problems, doco said both devices had to be on same SSID. I thought that odd because the router connects devices on both bands. The I thought that AP Isolation enabled prevents devices communicating even if on same band. I learnt that WiFi Direct doesn't use the router; it is direct device to device. And being on same SSID meant transceivers were all tuned to same frequency (2.4 or 5). But then I saw my 2.4 phone could connect to my 5 tablet using wifi direct; I don't know how that happens because they are different SSID. Then I saw an instruction for the phone to connect to the Chromecast SSID.

In summary, both devices on same SSID; AP Isolation is not an issue; Wi-Fi Direct is not used; Chromecast generates its own SSID. Is this last point correct? Can you see a Chromecast SSID on your phone?

User fkschoond had the Sagemcom working for 6 months until recently.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Broadband-Internet/Chromecasts-are-suddenly-no-longer-discoverable-o...

You can search in Community for   sagemcom   to see other problems.

rrajagopal
Level 2

@david64 , Thanks a lot for the detailed explanaton. 
That explains why i was able to set up the chromecast and googlehub (because they generate SSID during setup) on my phone and not see them later when on wifi.

What really baffles me is my google pixel 5 doesnot have any problem with the wifi. Since we spoke, i removed /added the google hub with pixel5 without any issues and still having no issues. Both my Pixel6Pro and Pixel 5 are on same android level and on same google home app version.

At this point i dont think i can do anything on the phone or on the wireless modem (dont see much configuration options there). 

Thanks for the link, I will see how an access point can be setup using old TP-Link router.  

@bradstix  haven't outlined the steps but should be able to do it and resolve the issue temporarily (will wait for the weekend for that).

Thanks again for all your help and time Smiley Happy

bradstix
Level 3

Hi @rrajagopal - I was PM'ed some instructions from @BasilDV that help with using the TP Link VR1600v as an AP - hope this helps.

Main part was when logged into the router:

Under 'Advanced' tab go to 'Network' tab under Network tab go to 'EWAN' page.

You need to disable the VLAN ID (Uncheck) then set the Internet connection type to Dynamic IP and click on 'Save'

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Archer-vr1600v-as-access-point/m-p/37915#M4346

rrajagopal
Level 2

Thank you @bradstix 
I found your steps in Solved: Re: Disable Access Point/AP isolation, also known as Client isolation or guest mode, on the ...

I was so happy with my 5g wireless until now Smiley Happy  and hate to do a work around for a most common usage. 
I will try this out on weekend and let you guys know.

Thanks again @david64 & @bradstix 

rrajagopal
Level 2

@david64 & @bradstix ,
Hey Guys, Followed the steps listed by Bradstix from above comment and  have set up the TP Link VR1600v (WAN port) to the LAN port of sagemcom and used the SSID that all my devices recognizes, had reset the sagemcom prior to that to have default wifi SSID and everything works fine now. The cast icons came back on the apps and the devices were showing on the google Home app.

I guess will have to live with this work around untill a permanent fix comes to sagemcom via update. 

bradstix
Level 3

@rrajagopal  that is great news it worked for you as a work-around.

I am also doing the same thing until a fix is provided with Sagemcom firmware update.

I am very sure we are not the only ones with this issue as so so many people use Google Home devices and would be signing up to this TPG offer!

nicolasoz
Level 2

I finally fixed it, I managed to turn off AP under internet connectivity > Mobile Configuration, see screenshot.

Now I can use my chromecast.

Otherwise it works when the chromecast is connected via LAN

kannarakesh05
Level 2

excellent. i did what you suggested and its working straightaway, thank you so much for the help,

but i dont find the chromecast from IPHONE,  but its working perfectly with samsung

rrajagopal
Level 2

@nicolasoz Indeed it does.. Thanks a lot!

reh06
Level 3

So the only solution for now is to get a second router and set that up as an Access Point? ugh such a pain. This was working abolutely fine until a few days ago and i have no idea why. Did not even update the firmware.
Let's all continue to call customer care so they prioritise this fix.
Thanks all. i'm going to wait till theres's another solution since i don't have a spare router.