TPG Community

Get online support

Clarity of approved / supported mobiles after 28th Oct 2024 on 4g/5g network

gcck88
Level 3

Thanks for that @Dropbear087 : I tried it out and the reply I got was "Thanks for using our 3G device checker. Unfortunately, we're unable to confirm if your current device is compatible with our 4G/5G network, including its ability to make emergency 000 calls. Please contact your device manufacturer for more information. NOTE: Unless your call is for a legitimate emergency, DO NOT call Triple Zero (000) to test your device.

Since I can't test calling 000 for the obvious reasons, I wanted to wait for the 28th and see what happens. But since TPG is doing a block automatically and my device seems to meet their criteria's on Volte and 4G, hence why I want some kind of confirmation from them as to what is going to happen and what method they are planning on using to decide "unsupported" devices.

Dropbear087
Level 3

@alanguide

It's not network specific because it's a service proved by AMTA:

Check My Device - AMTA | The Voice of the Australian Mobile Telecommunications Industry

@gcck88

If your device shows VoLTE next to the signal bars then it's obviously VoLTE capable, however you may need to update the firmware perhaps and also enable WiFi calling in settings. Hopefully you'll get some clarification from a mod here as to what will happen before 28th Oct. Good luck.

EDIT: You can also enter the device's IMEI number on the AMTA website above. Dial *#06# on your phone to bring up the number then enter it. The attached screenshot is for my Realme 7 5G RMX2111 which isn't shown as a supported device on TPG's website .... yet there we are, the AMTA says it is ok for use after 28th October. Like you say, we'll see i guess.Smiley Frustrated (fingers crossed).

alanguide
Level 8

@Dropbear087 wrote:

@alanguide

It's not network specific because it's a service proved by ATMA:

Check My Device - AMTA | The Voice of the Australian Mobile Telecommunications Industry

@gcck88

...and also enable WiFi calling in settings.

Thanks. After the autotest, I am now satisfied that My telstra mobiles will work OK. Re WiFi, our mobiles are completely independent of our home WiFi network. For instance, either of us may need to reach 000 when we are out of the home -- say on the road and nowhere in range of a WiFi network. So so I see no reason for the WiFi calling to be involved.
EDIT: Also, there may not be a home WiFi network, it may be swicthed off or it may be faulty. All in all, it is inconceivable that a smartphone should rely on any WiFi network for phone calls. Internet functions like email are of course a different matter.

Dropbear087
Level 3

@alanguide 

No, it's not to do with 000 calling in particular. I seem to recall that one of TPG's requirements for enabling VoLTE is to also enable WIFI calling on the phone but perhaps it was the other way around and VoLTE must be available for WiFi calls to work. Maybe Telstra doesn't such a requirement anyway.