TPG Community

Get online support

How to set up your ASUS RT-AC68U BYO modem for NBN

Shane

ASUS RT-AC68U 

This article provides modem setup advice for NBN services to get you up and running in just a few simple steps;

First:

You need to know the technology type used to supply your NBN service.

Your NBN technology type can be found in the Installation email we sent to you prior to your NBN service activation. Simply search for nbnorders@tpg.com.au nbn installation confirmed in your email inbox to find this email.

image.png

Please choose your NBN technology type below for Setup help for the ASUS RT-AC68U. 

You've Determined: You have an NBN FTTP / Fixed Wireless service

Please follow the steps below to set up your ASUS RT-AC68U.

1. Ensure your NBN Connection Box is turned on. Plug an Ethernet cable from the designated UNI-D port on your NBN Connection Box into the blue WAN port on your ASUS modem. (An email with the provisioned UNI-D port number will be sent to you once service installation date has been confirmed)3.png
  1. Plug in the power cable and turn your Asus modem on using the Power button.

1.png

1. Connect your computer or any device to your modem by plugging an Ethernet cable from the device to the Ethernet port, or you can connect your device via Wi-Fi. 

2.png

1. Go to http://www.router.asus.com or http://192.168.1.1 in your browser.
  1. Log in with your Asus username and password. By default these are:
    Username: admin
    Password: admin

1. On the home screen, select WAN within Advanced settings menu.
  1. Click Internet Connection tab.
  1. Select PPPoE as WAN Connection Type.
  1. Enter your TPG Username and Password.

10. For NBN Bundled plan (Internet and VoIP), Select Advanced Settings, then click LAN, go to IPTV. Set the ISP Profile to Manual, then the Internet VID to 2 and PRI to 0 (For NBN Fixed Wireless only). 

For NBN Data only plan, it should be Disabled. 

11. Select Apply.

12. Click Reboot.

Your ASUS RT-AC68U should now be online. If you are still having issues, please call us on 1300 997 271 for further assistance.

You've Determined: You have an NBN FTTC service

1. Ensure your NBN Connection Device is turned on. Plug an Ethernet cable from the yellow Gateway port on your NBN Connection Device into the blue WAN port on your Asus modem3.png

4.png

1. Connect your computer or any device to your modem by plugging an Ethernet cable from the device to the Ethernet port, or you can connect your device via Wi-Fi. 

5.png

1. Log in with your Asus username and password.By default these are:

10. For NBN Bundled plan (Internet and VoIP), Select Advanced Settings, then click LAN, go to IPTV. Set the ISP Profile to Manual, then the Internet VID to 2 and PRI to 0

11. Select Apply.

12. Click Reboot.  

Your ASUS RT-AC68U should now be online. If you are still having issues, please call us on 1300 997 271 for further assistance.

You've Determined: You have an NBN HFC service

1. Ensure your NBN Connection Box is turned on. Plug an Ethernet cable from the UNI-D1 port on your NBN Connection Box into the blue WAN port on your Asus modem.3.png

7.png

1. Connect your computer or any device to your modem by plugging an Ethernet cable from the device to the Ethernet port, or you can connect your device via Wi-Fi. .

8.png

1. Log in with your Asus username and password.By default, these are:

10. For NBN Bundled plan (Internet and VoIP), Select Advanced Settings, then click LAN, go to IPTV. Set the ISP Profile to Manual, then the Internet VID to 2 and PRI to 0

11. Select Apply.

12. Click Reboot.

Your ASUS RT-AC68U should now be online. If you are still having issues, please call us on 1300 997 271.

Our technical team will assist in providing you with the basic settings in order to set-up your equipment and connect to the internet. For further assistance and advanced set-up or configuration, please contact the equipment manufacturer.

Related TPG Community Articles:

List of Non-TPG supplied Modem/Routers for use with TPG NBN BYO Data Only Plans
High-Speed NBN BYO Modem Requirements
TPG NBN Home Superfast & Home Ultrafast Plans are here

NBN Plans with BYO modem – How to Connect Using your Own Compatible Modem/Router

NBN Plans with BYO modem – How to Configure Using your Own Compatible Modem/Router

Easy Steps to Improve Wi-Fi Connection In Your Home

List of all TPG broadband setup and modem guides on Community

5 REPLIES 5
dbeahan
Level 2

The instructions for the HFC customer is missing information.  In order to get my ASUS RT-AC68U working properly I had to follow the guidance provided in by anthonylamb here https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/NBN-Installation/Connecting-ASUS-RT-AC68U-to-NBN/td-p/20269.  Iinet also seem to have their instructions right: https://help.iinet.net.au/how-set-asus-rt-ac68u-nbn-fttp-wireless.  Pick it up TPG!

BasilDV

Hi @dbeahan

We were able to locate your account and learned that you are under our NBN bundled plan (Phone and Internet service).

The instructions provided here is for our NBN BYO modem/router plan. This explains why the there's no need to set the VLAN ID or Internet VID to 2.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

BasilDV

dbeahan
Level 2
Hi @BasilDV
Perhaps you could point me to the guidance on the tpg site for NBN bundle customers like me wanting to use the RT-AC68U. You could point your Engineering team to it too because I sure got some bad advice from them!
Kind Regards,
DBeahan
SadPants
Level 2

I was looking for a new router/modem for my NBN FTTN, found this post and saw the image showing FTTN highlighted in red. Thought this router/modem supported FTTN. It does not.

You should probably remove that image and specify that FTTN is not supported. When I searched how to get it working with FTTN (it requires buying another modem) I found posts by many other TPG FTTN customers who were probably also misled into buying this modem.

Now I'm stuck with another $200 unusable router, thanks to NBN FTTN. Out of all the routers I checked on your list of supported routers, it was the only one that shops seemed to have stock of.

BasilDV

Hi @SadPants

Have you read the whole article? If yes, then you'll notice that the image that you saw was to guide you on where to check or on how to identify your NBN technology type.

" Your NBN technology type can be found in the Installation email we sent to you prior to your NBN service activation. Simply search for nbnorders@tpg.com.au nbn installation confirmed in your email inbox to find this email."

You'll also notice at the bottom of the image that says: 'Please choose your NBN technology type below for Setup help for the ASUS RT-AC68U.'

Only 3 options are available, which are FTTP, FTTC and HFC. This means that the FTTN is not supported for this type of device.

You may check if you can still ask for a replacement at the shop where you purchased it.

BasilDV